Saturday, July 21, 2012

Food for thought.....

Happy Saturday to all of you!  It was a long week, but the weekend is here!  Well, almost half way through for some of us. 

I went to the mall....today (Thinking of Robin Sparkles from HIMYM)  Anyway...it was a very clean mall with interesting stores.  There were different ethnic cuisines from hamburgers, to coffee cafes, to sushi, to pizza.  I decided to try the South African Pizza.  It was good.  I ordered a bacon pie.  I couldn't buy by the slice, just a medium or large pie.  The pie came out and it was equivalent to the small pie from Domino's.  Thin crust with veggies on it too.  Not sure if that is common to have the veggies on a meat pie, but I am not going to complain since I love the veggies.  The pizza did not have a lot of sauce on it, and the cheese looked like it had basil on it.  My comparison to the South African pizza is the frozen Celeste pie you get at the grocery store.  I will try different places too before I make my final judgement call.  David- when you are in NYC...you need to get a "slice" of pizza.  That is one staple you will have to do before leaving.  Oh and also a bagel! 

So like you all know I went to McDonald's last week.  A tid bit of information for you...their "large" size is the "America's" medium!  LOL!  Also, their "party bag" size of chips are even smaller than the US regular version.  Everything (fast food) is smaller portions here.  This could definitely explain why the woman getting me a lab coat yesterday told me I could wear the medium or even a large but I wasn't a small.  :-(  LOL!  Oh well.  I will bring my American curves here with confidence.  I am going to send David to Costco for him to see how an American eats and shops.  LOL!

I went to the grocery store today.  I am quite addicted to the Pick and Pay.  I am also addicted to the Cadbury white chocolate lunch bars.  It is great seeing all the chocolate products on display.  There is so much happiness and pride when I see that down here.  Such a difference from Hershey and Mars...especially since I work for Cadbury/Kraft.  The pick and pay is a very clean store that offers a lot of options.  I think I found 6 pick and pays in the 5 mile vicinity.  That is the only chain supermarket I have seen though.

Ok..well, I am going to watch a movie now.  Everyone enjoy your Saturday.  Tomorrow I will pack for my first trip to Swazilnd.  I am really excited.  I have huge shoes to fill being David's temporary replacement.  However, I will definitely not be pushed over.  Swaziland...meet D-WOW!  Bringing a little fiestiness to the land! 

Here are some picks of the mall, me driving, Jo'burg and the pizza.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. If you can find a branch of Woolworths - they have nice food. Their ready-to-eat soups (they're in plastic bags)are a treat for cold evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, most South Africans are bigger than you, but whatever! Thanks for the comment about the big shoes, but I'm feeling exactly the same over here - you're definitely respected and appreciated! I'll have to go to Costco when I get back from Mexico. So far I've only been to Target!

    ReplyDelete