Wednesday, July 11, 2012

We're not in Kansas anymore....

It is finally here.  I am in Jo'burg.  The city (from what I could see since I landed at night) is truly a little version of the Big Apple.  There are tall buildings, a lot of lights and CRAZY drivers.  Getting through customs was very easy and everyone in the airport was super friendly and extremely helpful.  David, my counter part who is swapping with me will be landing in JFK on Saturday.  I told him not to expect the same respect.  I got to my villa.  It is in a gated community for security purposes and is so pretty.  I haven't seen the grounds yet because it was evening when I arrived, but the suites are quite nice. The chef for the place is named Ivette.  There are only 10 rooms.  Each room has a small kitchen area(but why cook when I have a personal chef who said she would make me anything I want!), a bedroom and bath.  There is a lounge area, bar, exercise room and computer center in the building as well.  Full 24 hour services for cleaning and laundry.  Rough life.

I landed to 65 degrees.  Oh and that reminds me...they have heated floors and blankets in each room.  Perfect for people like me who are cold in 80 degree weather.  Tomorrow I will be at work at 7 am.  Hopefully after work I will take an adventure out to the little big apple (wannabe) and explore.  Though I technically am not allowed to drive yet since my driving lessons don't start till Saturday. 

I encountered my first South African bug.  It looked like a giant lady bug.  It was hanging out by my door.  I pushed that sucker far away.  Not ready to deal with dinosaur size bugs just yet.  The flight here was cool too.  They had traditional South African and African music playing.  Their food selection was all authentic traditional meals.  I ate a lot of couscous.  And so far...the coffee isn't too bad.  Not as good as Singapore, but to be honest...not as terrible as the coffee I had in Colombia.  Go figure.

It is a 6 hour time difference, so it is time for me to hit the "heated" sack.

Oh and one more thing..a very special HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my little nephew Max who turned 10 today!!! 

Stay tuned for pics and more descriptions of South Africa.

4 comments:

  1. I love this. Great idea! Glad you're all well and good and happy with the provisions. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Nel's post. .glad all travel aspects were successful! Can't wait to hear more, thoug the big bugs are not a selling point. . .couscous is though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy u r safe. Wiill be waiting for pics. The chef better learn a lot of chicken recipes!!! Miss ya. Love ya. Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey how was your first day of work????? My day at worked sucked as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete