Thursday, July 26, 2012

Swaziland

Swaziland definitely has it's down falls, but it truly makes them  up with the people.  These people are the most humble, genuine people I have ever met.  They are extremely hard workers and just absolutely so kind.  The plant however is the worst I have seen.  I am amazed at how much product they can produce with such little resources.  It puts your life into perspective.  I have been to a lot of plants all over the world, each with different capabilities and I always try to learn something from each one of them.  Hoping to pass on knowledge to others for a more efficient industry.  From Swaziland, they don't have the money for a new cooker, they don't have the resources for full time line supervisors, but what they do have is the heart for their products they make.  That is something priceless and should be passed all over the world.

Speaking of products....I have experienced awesomeness.  I have eaten eclairs off the line when they are hot.  OMG..these are delightful.  I devoured a product called PS.  They are caramel candy with white chocolate center.  Holy Crap I have hit the mother load of deliciousness.  I stole a whole bag off the line.  They all melted into one big candy.  I don't care...it is still edible. 

Swaziland itself has nothing.  It is very flat and run down.  People are just trying to make a living.  The place I stayed in was very nice.  It had botanical gardens all around and crystal blue pools.  It was much hotter there than in Jo'burg.  The airport (if you can call it that) might be the size of the RD&Q center in Whippany.  And I think that is being generous.  It was a 20 minute flight on Swazilink airlines.  I didn't know what to expect.  I kind of thought to myself, if there was duct tape holding the plane together I wasn't getting on it.  But it was fine.  Definitely an experience.  I saw a lot of cattle, an Ostrich and a lot of geckos.  One was in my tub.  I made an agreement with him.  I told him he could stay as long as he stayed in the tub.  He listened so I named him Rico.  LOL!  It was a very long 3 day trip that benefited myself and the plant.  I can honestly say however....it is good to be back in my temporary home in Jo'burg. 

Here are some pics...
Swaziland Airport
apartments
random building and dirt roads
front view of my bungalow
police
view of my bedroom
airport gift shop...no joke

3 comments:

  1. Good summary! Swaziland was the first Halls plant I visited, so it's my benchmark - Puebla is like heaven in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for those of you who are wondering, the gift shop in that photograph is about the size of two telephone booths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Matsapha International Airport terminal building is quite a bit smaller than the Whippany RD&Q centre: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-26.520394&lon=31.314816&zoom=18&layers=M (airport) http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.827782&lon=-74.432318&zoom=18&layers=M (Whippany)

    ReplyDelete