Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Little swimmers and Avocados

I went to the grocery store for the first time yesterday and the first thing I walk into is a stand of avocados and beer.  One thing I have noticed is that avocados are very popular here.  A lot of people bring an avocado, scoop it out, spread it on bread add salt and pepper and that is their lunch.  Pretty healthy lunch but is it filling?  Plus, I do not like avocados so I will stick to my soup.  I officially am starting a diet tomorrow.  Since being here I have been eating like crazy.  I would love to enjoy the cuisine, but I need to do it moderation.  I have been having a big lunch and big dinner.  I asked Yvette here to prepare me smaller meals when I eat at the lodge.  Even at the lodge there are avocados everywhere.  Kind of odd, but in Thailand I experienced everyone ate mushrooms.  So I guess this is the choice of the people.

I do have to apologize to some today.  I am in a foul mood today.  Stress has been getting to me.  No one said that this job would be easy and I never anticipated it.  I just never assumed I would be dealing with so much on the East coast as well.  Eventually in the coming weeks my communication and work load will have to diminish from the East.  I worked yesterday for 14 hours.  I am very appreciative of this opportunity and I am relishing in it as much as possible, however the stress today and yesterday hit me.  Travel plans have been set and I will be travelling a good amount.  I like to travel...but to Nigeria?  I don't know.  But it is part of my job now....so it has to be.  I am sure it will be fine.  David likes it there.  But then again David isn't me.  So for the people I have spoken to today and snapped at I apologize.  I do want to reiterate though, I am not being treated like a princess.  The lodge is not heated at all.  The only thing heated is the floors.  Since winter is only 2 months they don't include insulation or a heating system.  So when it gets down to 30 F here all I have is this bedspread to keep me warm, but by the time I get home I am exhausted so the cold is a minor problem.  Yvette is great, but I can cook as well.  However when I get home from a 12 hour day the last thing I want to do is cook.  Oh and my "accident" wasn't that big of a deal.  Though the hubcap would beg to differ.  Sorry for the bitching and clarification, but this isn't a vacation.  It is however a great experience and I am very grateful for it.  I do miss everyone though.  I feel like I have been gone for a month and it has been only a week.

So moving on from my bitch fest..stress out...I was flipping through  South African Magazine and came across a very interesting article.  It was about male sperm and how many men in different regions have "active" sperm or little "drowners"  Come to find out the US and UK have the most little drowners while South America and Sweden have the most productive little men with the CAN DO attitude.  You ask why I bring this up....well, the advertisement before the article was a martini glass filled with Swedish Fish!!!  And yes, they are Swedish Fish.  My question to you all....do we get a profit from this and who the hell are we selling our license name to?  LOL!

 

1 comment:

  1. I have to ask..."What is it about South America and Sweden that make their men so much like Michael Phelps?" Is it simply because their countries start with the letter "S"? Or is it something in their water? Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe it is avocados. They are quite good.

    Either way, hope everything turns around out there for you and you get to enjoy your stay. Even in Nigeria, but still boo that you have to go.

    ReplyDelete