Sunday, July 15, 2012

HOLY $H!T

Well, I drove today...by myself with no instructor.  I have no idea where he was, but in the end I couldn't wait.  Good thing because he never showed up.  So I self taught myself to drive on the opposite side of the road. I hit a curb going about 20 mph or 32 km (and yes, I need to check if my tire is flat tomorrow morning because I F-ed up the rim and both tires!) After that incident...it was pretty easy.  The only complications I seem to have is getting out of a parking lot.  For some reason that seemed to be the hardest.  I am just hoping that I don't need to get both tires replaced.  If so I am making Kraft pay.  That simple!  Oh..did I forget to mention that a rock hit my windshield and now there is a crack too?  Not that I could have avoided that..but COME ON!  Either way, after the nerves settled and I hit the curb I was in a comfort zone.  The GPS SUCKS too.  It told me to go right and after a half hour of driving I decided to turn around.  Thank god I did when I decided to because there was their main intersection.  It was just as crowded as 287 and the speed limit is 125 km (75 mph )  Not quite ready for that yet.  I turned around and went the opposite way the GPS highlighted and sure enough my destination was right there.  Freaken A.  But the driving was necessary for me to feel comfortable. 

After my misguided adventure from the GPS, I passed a lot of malls.  Unfortunately, just like Bergen county, the stores were mainly closed on Sunday's. To paint a picture of what a South African mall is, picture a strip mall.  Something to the extent of the Rockaway Mall where Target is.  The one sign mentioned the biggest mall in South Africa.  I would say it is equivalent to the Livingston Mall.  LOL!  One thing that is interesting however is that they have these 5 star restaurants in the mall itself.  High priced meals right next to a "Gap"  Kind of weird. 

I also wanted to go grocery shopping.  I know now that the shopping center closes at 4.  LOL!  We are definitely not in NJ anymore.  After work tomorrow I will either have to get my tires fixed or go to the Pick and Pay.  That is their "Shoprite" 

One thing that I find very interesting about Jo'burg is that every store I was able to walk into plays a TON of 80's music and the golden oldies.  I was in the McDonald's jamming to the Everley Brothers.  It is a huge trend I see down here.  Especially 80's music.  Speaking of McDonald's...on my quest, I had to stop in to see what a South African McDonald's was like.  They do not have as many items on the menu as a McDonald's from the states but their food was quite delicious.  I would say one of the best chicken nuggets I have ever had.  Relatively cheap as well.  They have a "Royal McDouble" , "Royal Mac" and the typical, chicken sandwich, chicken nuggets, fillet of fish and the single with or with out cheese.  It was VERY clean though.  Extremely neat and the service was fast and fresh.  Quite a good experience. 

Ok everyone- pray that my tires are ok and that they don't become flat or that I need new ones.  Or if I do that the place accepts American Express because I REFUSE to pay for this!!  Should have had an instructor.  Though...I do feel comfortable driving.  Just wish I didn't hit the curb.  Of course on the left side.  Oh well. 

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.  And Congrats to Jim, Johnny, Craig, Pete, Paul and Catherine for completing and surviving the Warrior Dash.

Miss you all.  Enjoy some pics...

4 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Glad to hear that you are ok. Can't exactly say the same for the car, but at least all of it happened in a parking lot. And it looks like you got an automatic, though too bad it is a Chevy ;-)

    Can't believe that they have a better McDonald's though. Or is it McDowell's? You sure it is chicken in those nuggets, lol?

    Glad you are having a great time and that your driving adventure kept you in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your tires. Unfortunately, your presence at our last softball game did not help us out :( (then again neither did our defense or offense) Oh well. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the happenings across the world. MISS YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle I will send Max to South Africa so you and him can spend all of your free time at McDonalds. I wish to God I could have had a camera crew video taping you driving or at least a microphone than mom and dad could hear how their little princess really talks behind their backs. Love ya Dorene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle!
    Loving the blog! I'm glad you're okay! That said, I laughed hysterically because it reminded me of the morning I hit the curb coming into the work parking lot as you of all people know! What was it that I was trying to avoid ... a dead groundhog?? At least you had a much better reason being in a different country driving on the opposite side!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete