Thursday, July 12, 2012

Working girl....

Today was my first visit to the Jo'burg office.  It is a very clean, shiny building.  Marble, granite, stainless steel, and glass windows make up this 2 story building.  I am shocked at how crystal clean everything was.  Not to say Whippany is dirty, but this place is prestige.  The lab areas are much smaller than Whippany with less equuipment.  But yet functional for what they need to do.  The cool thing about Jo'Burg's office is that they do a significant amount of chocolate work.  So for those of you who love chocolate...it is a paradise.  There is chocolate everywhere.  There was a "tasting" sample of a new Caramel product.  Much better I must say than a Halls tasting!!!  The working areas are long desks with no dividers so there is no privacy.  However it is not loud at all. I met a ton of people in the matter of 10 minutes and do not remember 1 single name.  LOL!  However they all offered to drive me around since I SUCK at driving on the right hand side of the road.  The small group of people that work at the Woodmead office are extremely lovely.  They are willing to help and want to learn.  They are interested in NYC and of course...THE JERSEY SHORE!  I had to explain that not EVERYONE from NJ is like Snookie.  LOL! 

The building is 2 floors, RD&Q majority are downstairs while marketing and finance are upstairs.  Like us, they have a small cafeteria.  Ours is actually slightly larger but not by much.  Food selection is similar to what we use to have.  I am not even sure how our new catering service is in Whippany, but unlike Whippany the cafeteria is lower cost and soda is free!  Today we got to pick from these hot meals: roasted chicken with wild rice, turkey lasagna, or spinach quiche with a mix of salads and soups to chose from.  However if that didn't tickle your fancy, they have a large selection of sandwiches made to order.  Basic meals, but something for everyone. 

The day was full of project information, forgetting names, and trying to remember where the ladies room was.  One thing I definitely need to remember is that to exit or enter any room you must use your security card.  I forgot a bunch of times and walked right into the door.  If I wasn't obvious before that I was new...I sure did then!!! 

Time difference is quite ideal for a extended business trip too.  While I was on some conference calls I was still able to speak with Whippany colleagues and address anything that needed attention.  David is really excited to come to the states.  The last time he was in the US was over 30 years ago.  He told me what he remembers about the US is Dunkin Donuts.  I told him things haven't changed...just expanded!!!  I was only able to fill him in on some details regarding his projects, but he will be fine.  He is extremely smart and a Wikapedia genius.  You think I am lying...think again.  Ask him anything....he knows it. 

I skyped with Jim today.  Showed him my lovely pad.  Hopefully this weekend I will take some pictures.  By the time I get back to my rent a home it is dark.  So keep a look out for weekend pics.  And wish me luck with my driving lessons.

Hope you all have a great day.  In an hour Ivette will have my dinner ready.  I apparently am having dinner with the "family" here.  Today's dinner choice...Pad Thai curry with chicken.  Again...rough life. 

2 comments:

  1. See I knew u would have some kind of chicken. Going to Jose Tejas tonite. You know Ryan & Max's favorite resturant. Glad to see you are going with the flow. See 2 days down already. Good luck with driving lessons. Just imagine Dad trying that driving scenario ... Everyone on every side of the road would annoy him!!! OK. Gotta run. Eat some chocolate for me. Do they have Sourh African Flake???? My favorite!!!! Love ya. Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog...I look forward to reading it. I will have to live my life through you now that the kids are here and travel is almost impossible. Glad things are going well. Stay safe and send some chocolate this way...lol. Andrea

    ReplyDelete